Last week I mentioned why I loved teaching on Skillshare & today I’m going to share my really simple process for how I teach my classes quickly, efficiently and profitably!
1. Brainstorm a list of as MANY class ideas as you can! Seriously, think about anything & everything. Put a timer on for 10 minutes and do NOT stop writing ideas down until it goes off!
2. Pick the “lowest hanging fruit” idea. This means the one that you could undoubtedly teach in your sleep. That’s why my first class was the Simple Entrepreneurship “intro” type class because I’ve literally been teaching this for YEARS now. If you can’t decide between a few, just close your eyes and put your finger on the list, and RUN with that idea. It will not be perfect, nothing ever will. You’re just here to help people, not be a plastic, “perfect” Barbie!
3. Outline EVERYTHING you could teach for that topic idea + then PRUNE that down as you do a quick “run through” (yes! Talk to yourself while going through a “practice” class!) Trust me, fake teaching this is gold and will make it much easier to film the full thing. Remember, keep it simple sweetie! Classes are only 10-20 minutes long on average (there are plenty of longer classes, but the Skillshare team asks for shorter more ‘bite sized” classes.)
4. Record! Do not worry about equipment, tech stuff, or not being good enough, etc. You know, ALL those excuses and lies that pop up in our heads all the time?! Yeah – EVICT them!! You were born on purpose, for a purpose love, so breath that in and go & do this class recording! Another tip is to use Quicktime (free download!) as it has a “screen record” feature that is easy to use and totally free. Do not be fooled that you need to buy $100 software or something crazy!
5. Quick edit your class, if you love to use iMovie or whatever, great, but I always just use Quicktime and the “trim” feature – apple T + then cut off each beginning & end where I’m turning the camera on & off and then just do the BEST I can in the middle of the film! ha! Don’t worry if you need to do a couple takes for each class video you came up with on your outline.
6. Click ‘publish” and then SHARE & market your class! Do not just leave it to sit there and rot. Share it with family & friends, use the freebie marketing tools under your backend. Once you get to 25 students your class will “trend” on the homepage and you’ll also qualify for your first paycheck soon!
[Tweet “6 simple steps to teaching your own @skillshare class! via @ashleegeheb”]
All you need to do to get started is to sign up for your first 3 months of Premium for only 99 cents and then get started on your class! Simple & easy right?!
I do recommend you take a few classes (here’s my simple biz class again, hint hint! ha!) to help you get a feel for how the platform & community work, but please, PLEASE do NOT get caught up in comparing yourself to others! That will not help anything love, that will only hurt your goals in the long run!
As always love, if you have any questions about this topic, or anything else for that matter, feel free to email me! I’m always “ears”!
with love & blessings,
PS. Sign up for my fun, brand new healthy homemade chocolates class, because who doesn’t love chocolate?!?